The rewards of an early morning walk...

Usually I try to be intentional about my walks, making sure I set just the right pace to make it a workout. However, this morning I suddenly had the desire to recreate the first truly present and especially peaceful morning walk I had had a few weeks ago. With that in mind I instantly started walking more slowly and purposefully taking in deep breaths of the fresh morning air. Even though the sky was still overcast I was rejoicing in the beauty all around me. Remembering the first time I became aware that God had truly created everything I slowed my walk even more. I am so thankful I did. For I was to be rewarded with so many delightful little vignettes, of which the first was waiting just around the corner.
As I quietly walked around a stand of trees, listening to the birds singing, I got my first reward. It was the sight of a beautiful brown adult bunny sitting on the path directly in front of me. He stared at me wide eyed for a moment, but he did not bolt off. Neither was he struck with terror. It was as if he was waiting for me. He lipped around a bit and patiently watched me fumble for my cell phone. Then he stopped and sat up again as I snapped his picture. Unfortunately, he turned at the last second and I only captured the back of him. Then he slowly disappeared beneath the Hosta's. Nevertheless, the sight of him left me with a happy smile and an evident reminder of the blessings of taking things slow.
I continued my stroll, stopping to watch a black squirrel playfully chasing a grey one; a bee busily gathering his morning nectar; a bright red cardinal and his mate hopping across the path before gliding up to a nearby tree; a pair of bright red robins who stopped to watch me back; and a little sparrow bobbing and looking for earth worms.
I relaxed on a park bench for a while and read my morning passage, enjoying the cool breeze and the songs of the birds all around me. It reminded me of the phrase, "All nature sings and 'round me rings, the music of the spheres," from the hymn 'This is my Father's World,' for nature was surely singing the praises of God this morning.
As I meandered back toward my building I took the opportunity for a short chat with a new neighbor's mother, and watched a son give his father a warm hug after bringing him safely home. All of these heart warming treasures were found in a simple 25 minute stroll around the complex where I live. They gave me strength for the day and proved the old adage that the early bird gets the worm. Truly!

Hope your day was as blessed as mine was.
Your friend,
Straynoodles

Comments
Post a Comment